Clerkship Education Subcommittee
The Clerkship Education Subcommittee oversees the management of the curriculum for Years 3-4. The responsibilities of the Clerkship Education Subcommittee are delegated by the Curriculum Committee and include the monitoring of curriculum content (e.g., horizontal integration, objectives, assessment) and recommend changes to the Curriculum Committee. The Clinical Education Subcommittee is also responsible for the annual assessment of clerkships and clinical campuses, quality and modalities of teaching, as well as other responsibilities as defined below. The Clinical Education Subcommittee reports to the Curriculum Committee and the Chair of the Clinical Education Subcommittee reports the subcommittee activities monthly at the Curriculum Committee meetings.
Clerkship Education Subcommittee
|Internal Medicine||Diane Levine, MD||(313) 745-7003||Carmen McIntosh||(313) 966-7680|
|Family Medicine||Margit Chadwell, MD||(313) 577-8867||Lisa Blackwell||(313) 577-0878|
|Pediatrics||Yvonne Friday, MD||(313) 745-5751||Nakia Williams, MD||—|
|Psychiatry||Mary Morreale, MD
Eva Waineo, MD
|Yolanda Pitts||(313) 577-3130|
|Neurology||M. Maher Fakhouri, MD||(313) 745-4275||Willie Johnson||(313) 577-1244|
|Dr. Sun Kwon Kim
Dr. Rehab Shabana
|Cathy Rutkowski||(313) 993-4032|
|Surgery||Christopher Steffes, MD||(313) 745-8770||Nancy Linenger||(313) 916-2879|
|Continuity Care||Margit Chadwell, MD||(313) 577-8867||Ginianne Gilchrist||(313) 577-1414|
|Ambulatory||Joel Appel, DO||(313) 966-4946||Shirley Kmetz||(313) 745-4901|
|Subinternships (Internal Med., Family Med., Pediatrics, Surgery)||Joel Appel, DO||(313) 966-4946||Shirley Kmetz||(313) 745-4901|
|Emergeny Medicine||Sarkis Kouyoumjian, MD||(313) 993-2530||Sonya Scott||(313) 993-2527|
Guidelines and Responsibilities
Role and Responsibilities of the Basic Science Education Subcommittee
- Monitor all curriculum clerkship maps to further enhance the committee’s knowledge across the clerkship education curriculum in order to assess the impact of curricular change.
- Review, coordinate, and approve the topics and subtopics of the clerkship curriculum across Years 3-4 (horizontal integration).
- Coordinate efforts with the Pre-clerkship Education Subcommittee to vertically integrate curriculum across Years 1-4.
- To conduct regular systematic clerkship reviews with respect to objectives, content, instructional activities, time allocation, evaluative procedures, outcomes, and to make recommendations for improvement. A formal review of each course/clerkship occurs annually.
- To conduct regular systematic reviews of the clerkship medical education curriculum, including segments of the curriculum and the curriculum as a whole, and to make recommendations for revisions to ensure the achievement of the medical education program objectives (formal review every five years).
- Review and monitor clerkship /faculty evaluations and improvement plans provided by the Continuous Performance Improvement Sub-committees. Any non-compliance is reported to the Curriculum Committee by the Continuous Performance Improvement Sub-committee Chair.
- Review all outcome data, including: clerkship pass rates, Step 2, NBME subject exams, and student’s evaluation of clerkships and teaching faculty.
- Negotiate and report on routine clerkship issues.
- Review students in academic difficulty and assist in the development of a remedial plan to enhance academic success.
- Make recommendations to the Curriculum Committee on changes impacting curriculum content within and between clerkships. Any recommended changes to curriculum content (e.g., objectives, assessment methods), or curriculum delivery methods that may impact learning and student performance, must be referred to the Curriculum Committee for approval.
- Negotiate and report on the routine clerkship issues.
- Conduct monthly reviews of the issues and concerns at the Clinical Campuses.
- Monitor student compliance with the SOM procedures and diagnoses monitoring.
- Assess student workload and monitor duty hours.
- Review and monitor clerkship scheduling.
- Monitor the timeliness of grade.
- Adjudicate Year 3-4 grade appeals.
- Provide support as requested by the Curriculum Committee.
Clerkship Education Subcommittee Membership Guidelines
The Assistant Dean of Clinical Education is the Chair of the Clerkship Education Subcommittee (CES), and is appointed by the Vice Dean of Medical Education. The CES comprises 8 Clerkship Directors in Year 3. Clerkship Directors are appointed by the Chairs of the Departments and include Family Medicine, Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, Surgery, Psychiatry, OB/GYN, and Neurology. The Continuity Clerkship Director is appointed by the Vice Dean for Medical Education. The Clerkship Education Subcommittee also comprises 2 Year 4 course directors which include Emergency Medicine, and a Sub-Internship, which includes Family Medicine, Internal Medicine and Pediatrics.
All Clerkship Directors (8) in Year 3 and required Year 4 courses (2) are voting members of the CES. When the Chair of the CES is also a Clerkship Director, he/she will not cast a vote. The Chair of the CES will cast a vote in the case of a tie. A quorum of 6 voting members is necessary for a formal vote. Other non-voting ad-hoc members may be nominated by Chair of the CES to serve in an advisory capacity.
Agenda and Minutes
2016-2017 Year 3 Meeting Schedule
|Fri, Jul 15, 2016|
|Fri Aug 19, 2016|
|Fri, Sep 16, 2016|
|Fri, Oct 21, 2016|
|Fri, Nov 18, 2016||No Meeting|
|Fri, Dec 16, 2016|
|Fri, Jan 20, 2017|
|Fri, Feb 17, 2017|
|Fri, Mar 3, 2017|
2015-2016 Year 3 Meeting Schedule
|Fri, Jul 17, 2015||Scott Hall 1358||Clerkship Directors & Coordinators|
|Fri, Aug 21, 2015||202 Mazurek||Clerkship Directors|
|Fri, Sep 18, 2015||Scott Hall 1358||Clerkship Directors & Coordinators|
|Fri, Oct 16, 2015||202 Mazurek||Clerkship Directors|
|Fri, Nov 20, 2015||Scott Hall 1358||Clerkship Directors & Coordinators|
|Fri, Dec 18, 2015||202 Mazurek||Clerkship Directors|
|Fri, Jan 15, 2016||202 Mazerk||Clerkship Directors|
|Fri, Feb 5, 2016||202 Mazurek||Clerkship Directors|
|Fri, Feb 19, 2016||Scott Hall 1358||Clerkship Directors & Coordinators|
|Fri, Mar 4, 2016||202 Mazurek||Clerkship Directors|
|Fri, Mar 18, 2016||202 Mazurek||Clerkship Directors & Coordinators||No Meeting|
|Fri, Apr 1, 2016||202 Mazurek||Clerkship Directors|
|Fri, Apr 15, 2016||Scott Hall 1358||Clerkship Directors & Coordinators|
|Fri, May 20, 2016||202 Mazurek||Clerkship Directors|
|Fri, Jun 17, 2016||Scott Hall 1358||Clerkship Directors & Coordinators|
2014-2015 Year 3 Meeting Schedule
|Fri, Jul 11, 2014|
|Fri, Aug 15, 2014|
|Fri, Sep 19, 2014|
|Fri, Oct 17, 2014|
|Fri, Nov 12, 2014|
|Fri, Dec 19, 2014|
|Fri, Jan 16, 2015||No Meeting|
|Fri, Feb 20, 2015|
|Fri, Mar 20, 2015|
|Fri, Apr 17, 2015|
|Fri, May 8, 2015|
|Fri, Jun 19, 2015|