Sidney Stone, M.D. ’51, is a retired ophthalmologist.
After receiving his bachelor and medical degrees from Wayne State University, Dr. Stone completed an internship at Detroit Receiving Hospital, the Basic Science course at the Kresge Eye Institute and a residency in ophthalmology at Harper Hospital.
He was appointed clinical instructor at the WSU School of Medicine while also entering private practice as a solo practitioner in 1955. He was promoted to clinical assistant professor in 1976 and clinical associate professor in 1997. He retired from private practice in 2001.
Dr. Stone served as a member-at-large of the WSU School of Medicine Alumni Association Board of Governors from 1985 to 1989, and president from 1990 to 1991. In 2003, he and his wife, Betty, were inducted into the WSU Anthony Wayne Society and he was granted honorary lifetime membership in the WSU School of Medicine Alumni Board of Governors.
Among his many honors, Dr. Stone received both the WSU School of Medicine Alumni Association’s Distinguished Alumni Award and its Homer D. Strong Award for leadership and service to the alumni association and the university in 2004.