Richard Schultz, M.D. ’53, is a retired plastic surgeon.
Dr. Schultz received his medical degree from the Wayne State University School of Medicine and then completed an internship in 1954 and a general surgical residency at Harper Hospital in Detroit in 1955. He previously studied at the University of Michigan until 1949.
He served as a general surgeon and captain in the U.S. Army Medical Corp at Fort Carson, Colo., from 1955 to 1957.Following his discharge from the Army, he completed a plastic surgical residency at University of Illinois, Chicago in 1959, and at the Veterans Administration Hospital in Hines, Ill. in 1960. In 1961, he was awarded a Fulbright Fellowship at the University of Uppsala in Sweden.
From 1961 until his retirement in 1997, Dr. Schultz practiced plastic surgery in Park Ridge, Ill. He was, at the same time, professor of Surgery at the University Of Illinois College Of Medicine in Chicago from 1966 to 1996, then as professor emeritus. He served as chief of the Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery at both the University of Illinois and Lutheran General Hospital in Park Ridge, Ill., from 1970 to1987.
Dr. Schultz lectured at universities around the world, including in many communist countries as a visiting professor. In 2003 he returned to the University of Uppsala for four months on a Senior Fulbright Lectureship.
Among other honors, Dr. Schultz received the WSU School of Medicine Alumni Association’s Distinguished Alumni Scientific Achievement Citation in 1975.
Dr. Schultz has published four books and 115 juried articles on facial injury management and congenital and aesthetic reconstruction. In 2013 he published a memoir, “Bending Reality: Adventures In Global Plastic Surgery.”
In 2013, Dr. Schultz generously created the Richard C. Schultz, M.D., Endowed Resident Award in the Division of Plastic Surgery, Department of Surgery at the WSU School of Medicine.